SA white lawyer brutally assaulted outside court by angry crowd for defending suspected child killers

Lawyer Nico Du Plessis was assaulted and beaten
outside the Tonga Magistrate’s Court in Mpumalanga,
South Africa on January 21 for defending suspected
child killer. The lawyer said he dreads returning to
court this coming Wednesday.

"I was really scared, I thought I was going to die
especially when they mentioned that I would be
killed. I sustained various injuries. I went to the
doctor who examined me and gave me a J88 form. It
shows marks around my neck where I was strangled
with my tie, I have bruises and injuries due to being
kicked all over my body,” said Du Plessis.

He explained that the crowd was angry with him
because he was representing two men charged with
the murder of a 3-year-old girl, whose body has
never been found.

"I was attacked because I represented two accused in
court and I wanted to apply for bail for them. I don’t
feel safe anymore. However, I will have to ask the
police to secure the place so that I can proceed with
the case.

The case involved the kidnapping and possible
murder of the girl on November 29 last year. The
accused, Luis Sithole, Sfiso Mazibe, Themba Myambo
and Jabulani Ndlovu have been charged with murder,
despite the lack of a body. Du Plessis is representing
Myambo and Ndlovu. He said he will take legal action
against his attackers.



"I am busy opening a case in Nelspruit. I will submit
my statement this week to the police."
He said the Director of Public Prosecutions had
refused to move the case to a safer venue.

Meanwhile, Tonga police spokesperson Lieutenant
Mzwandile Nyambi says police will be at the court to
make sure there isn't another attack on Du Plessis
"We will deploy more police in court to make sure
that the incident doesn’t happen again.


 We urge
residents not to take the law into their own hands,"
he said.
SA white lawyer brutally assaulted outside court by angry crowd for defending suspected child killers SA white lawyer brutally assaulted outside court by angry crowd for defending suspected child killers Reviewed by masterplannermp on 12:08 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.